Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Art of the Mix Tape

What I'm Listening to now: Drop the Pressure by Mylo

Remember back in the day when you listened to (gasp!) tapes? I looooooved tapes. I used to record a lot of music off the radio, because back then in the 80s we didn't have the internet. Well, we had records, (I even had a 45 of the Go-Go's "Our Lips Are Sealed", I remember) and you could buy tapes, but I just liked recording songs off the radio too. It was just you and your own little portable tape recorder. Michael Jackson singing "Beat It" on WKTI? Got it! Duran Duran singing "Rio"? It's on tape, buddy. Joy.

But what I loved to do most was to make mix tapes. I would AGONIZE over what songs went together! I made a ton of mix tapes with all sorts of themes -- the mix to drive to, the ska mix, the "my boyfriend dumped me" mix, the "first kiss" mix, the "oh my god I'm so depressed" mix. I still have a few of them -- but no tape player to relive the awesome memories. Sigh.

Now with computers and writable CD's, it is SOOOO much easier to make mixes. So of course I have a ton of "playlists", as Windows Media Player calls a compilation of songs that you've personally brought together in love and harmony.

I especially like to make mix CD's for special occasions, to remember a personal experience and then try to recreate it through a list of certain songs so perfect for the situation that when you play the CD, it's almost like you went back to that experience and are able to relive all your feelings and thoughts associated with the event.

In fact, for our wedding, I created 5 mix CD's instead of hiring a DJ. And I must admit, it was my crowing glory! I am really proud of that 5 hours of music because listening to these CD's really take the listener back to their experiences from our wedding, from "hey, are those mozzarella sticks at the buffet?" to "gee, I don't remember drinking five martinis" to "I feel like doing a cartwheel right here in the hallway of this hotel!". I still listen to those CD's, much to Jim's utter boredom. "Oh, is this 'Wedding CD #3' AGAIN?" So they are kinda off-limits at our house...nuts!

One site I visited about mix tapes really encapsulated how you can tell you are truly a "mixologist":

From this site: There is great joy in making a mix. If you have ever killed a Saturday afternoon obessessing over what song should go next, you get it.

Hey, ever made a mix tape? What's your favorite mix list?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll tell you one thing that's not two things - My wife's mixes are the best ever.

Doowad said...

Nice comment, but you are a little late to the party. http://www.artofthemix.org/ has been under attack all year by a variety of trojans and other baddies and now has been reported as a dangerous site to google even. I made a lot of friends through there and we are all drifting towards and around the blogs right now.