Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Race for Facebook friends


What I'm Listening To: "Neverending Story" - Limahl
(Shut up, you know you loved that movie. I heart Atreu!)

My husband and I are competing against each other as to who can add the most friends to their Facebook page. Right now I have 9 friends, and I think he has 4. So yay, I'm winning!!

What does it mean to be someone's "Friend" on Facebook? I mean, shouldn't they have an "Acquaintance" label? What about "Co-Worker"? Or "I just added you since you wouldn't leave me alone" label?

But outside of Facebook, what does friendship really mean when you're 37 years old? When I was 13 I had "best friends", but now I just seem to have people that I eat lunch with at work, or people who I read their travel blog, or people that throw happy hours and invite me. Then there's the whole "we're only friends at work" thing, or the "we went to high school together but really have nothing left to talk about" situations, or "please stop calling me bc you're so high maintenance it's giving me a headache" concepts. There's so many things I could talk about here.
For me, friendship as I get older just seems to get more difficult. When I was 13, it was simple. We talked on the phone for 80 million hours about boys and music and school and clothes. Now, I have such a low tolerance for people's birdseed that I find myself wanting to spend more and more time alone. And then I complain I don't have any friends. It's a wicked cycle.

When you're friends with someone, you really have to decide how much you adore all the cool stuff about them that would make you overlook their subjective flaws. Of course, these flaws are YOUR opinion of what is not okay behavior, and this could be as simple as them slurping their soup. For me, I have very high expectations of myself, and therefore, of my friends.

But one of the most wonderful things about friendship is that the other person is NOT YOU. They have another opinion. They have done things you have not done, and probably will tell you all about them. They will show you sides of yourself that you cannot see. And you will do the same for them. So maybe friendship's not all bad.

Hey, did I tell you that I am winning on Facebook? I am tres populaire, as I would have said in 8th grade.

No comments: