Tuesday, September 16, 2008

My Achin' Dogs

What I'm Listening To: Since We Last Spoke by RJD2

I spent all day today running around, and my feet are killing me. You're probably like, yeah, so? But my feet are SPECIAL feet. I have PROBLEM feet. I mean, if they had feet psychiatrists, my feet would have one. I have numerous feet ailments -- you name it, I have it -- so every day is another valiant effort by me to get through the day wearing a cute shoe that provides a minimal amount of pain. It's an uphill battle, but hey, I have over 40 pairs of shoes, so you can bet I'm gonna win this war, 'kay? :)

Work today consisted of me running around pell-mell fighting a bunch of fires and generally trying to get a lot done in a tiny bit of time. (don't you just love that saying? Pell mell. My mom used to smoke Pall Malls, by the way. UGH!! Then she quit and started chewing gum like a maniac, and then...Oops, sorry, getting off topic). I got to work at 6:45 this morning, and I didn't leave until 5:30 PM. Yeah, shut it. It WAS a long day...to me.

To top it all off, I knew I would be on my feet all day today, and I wore HEELS. Not flats, the sensible shoe choice. Not tennis shoes, which might have been an even smarter bet. No, I decided that heels would work. NOT! So by the end of today I was in such an incredible amount of foot pain that I was tip-toe-ing around like a drunken geisha, hobbling to my car (which was parked like a MILE away from the door, sob!) and half-crying as I limped down the sidewalk.

Oh, and did I tell you that partway through my day I noticed that one of the rubber tips on one of my heels had COME OFF? So I was walking kinda lopsided all day, like Marilyn Monroe. Did you know that Marilyn Monroe would shorten one of her high heels in an effort to get her signature wiggle in her walk? Yes. Well, I was WIGGLING alright, but it was not sexy in the slightest. I'm sure it was as painful to watch as it was for me to wear those shoes.

Then, when I got home and finally took of the shoes of torture, my feet decided that now would be a great time to cramp up on me. It was fabulous. Thank god my husband rubbed my feet -- and we had ice cream in the fridge to soothe the pain away -- or I would have gone seriously postal on someone.

Well, I could chalk it up to no pain, no gain. But I'm sure I could have looked just as cute in flats. Oh well. But I'll tell you one thing that isn't two things: I am keeping a pair of sneakers in the car for the next Runaround Sue day.

What's your favorite "God my shoes are cute as hell, but they are KILLING me!" story? I have more, so don't get me started!

No comments: