Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Yay! A new president! What's next?

What I'm Listening To: Let's just listen to the silence for once, 'kay? Thanks!

I just wanted to let you know that I voted for Obama. And yes, I live in Westallica (thanks Otto!), land of the mullets, corner bars, the blue-collar man, and yes, a bunch of really depressed McCain supporters.

We got to our polling place at Jefferson Elementary School on Becher at like 6:45 AM, because usually we leave for the bus stop at like 6:35 AM, so we just wanted to go and vote before going to work. Figured there'd be a smaller line, hey? Well, no. We got there, and we were like 30th in line, no kidding. And as we stood there for 15 minutes, I swear about 35 more people showed up and lined up outside.

Taking a gander at my neighbors, I saw that pretty much every age group and generation was represented, from the first-time kiddie voters who were probably skipping class just to get in line, to a couple ladies who I think first cast their stone ballots with a chisel on an episode of the Flintstones. KIDDING! It was awesome! I heart Stallis! But I'm thinking all these people are hard-core Republicans -- I mean, Stallis doesn't have a bar on every corner because we're a happy positive group of individuals, okay?

So that got me thinking (get out of the way, it has thoughts!). If I lived in an area of Milwaukee that was more, uh, in line with my kinda lefty political beliefs, where would that be? Well, maybe not Stallis. Every day on our way home from the park n' ride there were like 5 huge McCain/Palin signs that gave me the creeps, I won't lie. Bay View seems to be the right direction, but really, just too granola and almost too leftist I think. Oh, and I look super gross in birks and tie-dye, no kidding. Tosa? Ugh. That little village thing they have going is just pathetic -- puhleeeeze stop trying so hard to be cutesy AND cool at the same time because it's totally NOT working. So I guess we'll just stay in Stallis and keep laughing at the McCain signs until they get taken down...hopefully soon, people. HINT!

So it took us like 15 minutes to get through the line and vote. Yay! I heard the lines were ridiculous in other places, but we had a very pleasant experience, even if I did try to tell the polling volunteer how to do his job. Hey, I was just trying to help, buddy! Ya ass!

I think it is so cool that so many people came out to vote for this election. I tried to find some numbers, like the population of the United States is X and X number of those citizens voted, but no dice. If anyone has the percentages, please send me a link. I'd like to see them! Jim says that the reason everyone came out to vote on Tuesday was because of the tanking economy, but I think it was because we're just sick of the same old song and dance from the Republican politicians. "Hey, Joe America. You are a dummy!" was basically what they were telling us all along, and we just sucked it down because we didn't know there was anything else to eat. And this time, McCain/Palin tried on the old suit of birdseed again and tried to feed it to us, and on November 4th we spit it in their faces. Thanks Saturday Night Live, and a special thanks to Tina Fey!! That was so great!

Great, but not so great, you know? It's a new president, but honestly, what's really going to happen in the next four years? We've been hearing the same promises from politicians our whole lives, and what's changed? We still have poor people. We still have super rich people who can get away with whatever. We still rely on foreign oil. We still have a substandard education system. Our taxes still rise every year. I'm not expecting miracles, but I am expecting something...anything but what we've just went through with the last 8 years! PLEASE!

PS: Even I'm getting sick of the serious blogging. Stay tuned for something funny, I promise!

No comments: