Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me!!

What I'm Listening To: Happy Birthday, DUH! No, actually, it's Destroy Everything You Touch by Ladytron

I'm pretty sure this picture is from my 10th birthday. Well, I know I had that shirt in 4th grade. It said "Abby" on the back in sparkly iron-on letters. Yeah, I know, super cool me. Jello? ha! At least I didn't have one of those ribbon and bead barrettes in my hair like Olivia Newton-John in Xanadu, the movie that was all the rage that year. Have you seen it? I hope you answered YES, or basically I'm not talking to you until you watch it. Oh, watch it and LEARN THE SONGS, I should say. It's fabulous!! The costumes, the drama and oh, the best part of all, the unforgettably awesome soundtrack!! I played that album until I wore a groove right through the vinyl. Sigh. Maybe it's a cheesy movie and Olivia is retarded, but I LOVED IT!!! Yeah, let's leave it there, shall we?

Birthdays are always awesome to me and one of the reasons is that the whole getting older thing doesn't faze me at all. Recently I was talking with my friend Wendy about an old roommate that I had in San Francisco and how she'd never tell us how old she was. WTF? Why not? Who cares, really? I guess it's easier to say this when everyone tells you that you look 30, like people do to me. At Hesper's bridal shower last weekend people thought I was the YOUNGER sister, and not just because I'm a total goofball, duh. It's because of my cute lil baby face! :)

This year's birthday is 10 years after my golden birthday, which was on February 28, 1999, while I was living in San Francisco. That was one of the best birthdays I've ever had. We made it into a multiple day affair. The first part was a goth theme party. I forced everyone to wear black, and all we listened to was goth crap like Bauhaus, Cure, Siouxsie and Jesus and Mary Chain. I made a Stonehenge replica out of rice krispie treats. We watched Saturday Night Live, and they even had an episode of "Goth Talk" on just for me, right? Will Ferrell as Baron Nocturne who worked at the Cinnabon was the best ever!!

Then the next night a couple of my guy friends, who were in a band at the time, decided to treat me to their version of "Don't Fear the Reaper" by BOC. OMG, it was awesome!!! I still have the photos from that night, me with a maniacal grin of glee on my face, and covering my mouth so I could try to stifle my embarrassed giggles because it was so super adorable!!

Then that same night, after this fantastic musical interlude, we went over to Bimbo's 365 Club to see Guided by Voices. It was such a great night and a wonderful golden birthday! Thank you, guys!!

Now, that was a good night, for sure. But I'm thinking that this birthday week/celebration may just top that glorious memory! My husband has been showering me with fantastic birthday gifts, some of which contain the letter X in the title. Yeah, get your mind out of the gutter, it's a video game console, ya pervert!! I bought a bunch of makeup from Sephora online, and it just showed up yesterday, so now I have a new palette to play with for spring. In March, another friend of ours is cooking us dinner in honor of my birthday! And don't forget the night out with my girls!

Unfortunately, there's only one thing that hasn't gone my way in the past couple days. Gossip Girl is not cooperating this week and they showed a RERUN instead of a new episode. Shame on them. But worst of all, no CHUCK for my weekly fix? What am I gonna do? Sob!!

But besides that, I am truly blessed with many great friends, a loving husband and lots of fun birthday adventures. I feel so lucky to have made it to this ripe old age and be all chock-fulla wisdom, happiness and just plain ol' contentment. So happy birthday to me! I deserve it!Thanks!

No comments: